Monday, December 21, 2009

a homemade life

Finished "A Homemade Life" - it's wonderfully well-written for a blog, but for a book it lacked a certain something. The best part was a recipe for argula salad involving chocolate. The whole planning-a-wedding part felt over familiar to me, not really saying anything novel. Also the recipes were distinctly not my taste. I'm sure fennel salad is perfectly edible, but it's not making my dinner menu.

It did make me want to read Julia Child's book about France. Also on my list is "A Christmas Carol" and I have Zadie Smith's new essay collection on my iPod.

"Looking for Alaska" by Peter Jenkins was excellent - the author lived in Seward and traveled all around the state, going fishing and dog-mushing and doing all kinds of classic Alaska adventures. It gave me insight into the culture of rugged individualism and got me excited for what we're going to experience.

Speaking of Alaska... I also read Sarah Palin's biography. I would like to quote Rush Limbaugh and say "'Going Rogue' is truly the most substantive policy books I've ever read." And then I'd like to fall on the floor laughing. It's basically just her trying to look good and blame her disaster of a campaign on McCain's underlings. Lots of lying and fuzzy logic. My sister's cat shredded my dad's copy of the book and I think that is the best use for it -- cat toy.

No comments:

Post a Comment