Tuesday, December 22, 2009

changing my mind

"Changing My Mind" by Zadie Smith is very erudite! I felt like I was back in college listening to a brilliant professor as she compared the literary philosophies of Nabokov and Bartes. I wanted to take notes as she discussed E.M. Forster's place as an English writer or "Netherland" as the ultimate post 9-11 novel.

The collection is leavened by movie reviews, a trip to Hollywood for the Oscars and an essay about the greatness of Katharine Hepburn and Greta Garbo's face. I utterly agree with her on Hepburn!

My favorite part was her metaphor of a great book as a house - with structure, doorways, secret passageways, windows and many levels. She says that a lover of a certain book lives in the house and feels ownership. How perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment