Tuesday, October 20, 2009

a reliable wife




A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick is a perfect read for a spooky wintery day... It's about a cold that burns, about wrapped-up people seething with sexual desire, about poisoned love and tender cruelty. It has the bitterly cold atmosphere of a Gothic melodrama - I loved the line about "the knots of births and deaths making a insane lace." Couldn't put it down.



A Wedding in December by Anita Shreve is my first book by her - I absolutely loved it. Prep school friends reunite for a wedding, each has a secret regret or longing, relationships tangle and spark. Each character was totally fascinating to me and I I loved the ending.




"French Milk" is a charming account of a young woman's month in Paris. She's lonely and eats good food and looks at paintings and nothing really happens, but she is in Paris and feeling despondent in Paris is always in style.

No comments:

Post a Comment