Friday, October 16, 2009

gaudy night




"Gaudy Night" by Dorothy L. Sayes is a mystery set at Oxford in the 1930s. I read it in 2000, when I was studying at Oxford. It's fun to read, a mix of suspense and intellectual philosophy and romance between feminist Harriet and Lord Peter, a witty Cary Grant-esque detective who keeps proposing to Harriet. They have really good chemistry.

I liked reading Agatha Christie mysteries when I was a teenager, so this took me back to that atmosphere.

Also this week I attended a reading by Michael Chabon. I actually haven't read any of his books but I will rectify this asap. I got "The Yiddish Policeman's Union" since it's set in Alaska. He read from "Manhood for Amateurs" and the precision of his writing impressed me. On a shallow note, I will also say that he is extremely good-looking.

Next up: Real Life and Liars by Kristina Riggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment