Monday, October 12, 2009

one true thing


One True Thing by Anna Quindlen was a reread... I first read it in high school and loved it. Reading now as a mother who is more aware of the cruelty of time, I found it shattering. It was so disturbing I had to put it down as I read about the daughter caring for the cancer-stricken mother while the father had affairs. Awful.


Isabel's Bed by Eleanor Lipman was a fantastic comic antidote, a great paean to potential and life's wonders and possibilities. Again, I read it in high school and loved it much more now. The narrator is a struggling writer who writes thinly-veiled accounts of her life. After catching her boyfriend flirting with a new mom whose baby is named Nicholas, she writes a story about a man flirting with a new mom whose baby is named Nicole. I found that hilarious.




Summer People by Brian Groh didn't do much for me. I liked the concept of a young man caretaking for a elderly rich woman but I didn't connect with the characters at all.

Currently reading Gaudy Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment