Sunday, March 28, 2010

footnotes in gaza

I read "Footnotes in Gaza" - a graphic journalistic book about a massacre of 111 Palestinians in 1956. Joe Sacco is a comic book war correspondent. It was quite wrenching and piqued my interest in the Palestine/Israeli conflict. I have been to Israel and learned about the history from their point but this incident was new to me. It's so desperately sad as a topic and brilliantly portrayed in graphic form. I may read his other works as well. I find the graphic novel is a good way to make a story fresh.

On a completely different note, I read "The Secrets to Happiness" by Sarah Dunn. I loved her previous novel "The Big Love" and lapped up this book as well. She enlarges the cast of characters - including a somewhat unlikeable guy named Leonard with drug issues - and it's mostly about Holly's relationship with the man that her friend Amanda had an affair with. Anyway, it was witty and enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment