Monday, June 7, 2010

the year of magical thinking

I tried to sell back those books yesterday - they only took about 1/3rd. So I'll either donate them to Goodwill or keep them. Hmm.

And I bought some books. I am so hopeless. So much for clearing off the shelves.

I read "James Herriot's Treasury for Children" upon recommendation of Catherine Newman, who I slavishly ape in every way. Adorable book of animal tales that made me cry with their gentle and sweet understanding of the world. I can't wait to share them with Little Mister. I also got James Herriot's memoir on CD to listen to as we drive the Alaska Highway. (And "Alphabet Juice" because we think Roy Blount Jr. is funny on NPR and some CD on sale about historical moments that changed the world.)

I also read "Trouble" by Kate Christensen and I love this book. It's heady with Mexico City atmosphere - it totally takes me back to our trip there. The grit and polluted air and flavors and music and streets... It's totally a fun read with a shocker of an ending.

"The Year of Magical Thinking" by Joan Didion is a reread. She analyzes her own heartbreak and grief after her husband died and daughter was seriously ill. Through this prism, we see her rich life and how much she lost.

"Shelter Me" by Juliette Fay was okay. Too talky and slow. A widow grieves and is rude to her Catholic priest and falls in love with her handyman building a porch. Not for me. The best part was the sermons - it was sort of wish fulfillment of a Catholic priest taking responsibility and condemning the molestation crisis in the church.

I also picked up an adorable board book for Little Mister. "Ten Little Babies" by Gyo Fujikawa is the cutest thing ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment