Wednesday, June 23, 2010

the big house

What have I been reading?

I reread "The Big House" by George Howe Colt. It's kind of rambling - I'm not really interested in the ancient Roman beliefs about houses by the sea - and the author gets a bit twee from time to time. The book is about his family history so it can feel somewhat over indulgent. But I love it anyway because I sympathize with loving a special house by the water and seeing it through the eyes of many generations.

I am rereading "All We Ever Wanted Was Everything" by Janelle Brown and got her new book, "This is Where We Live." Good summery books.

I read "Life After Yes" by Aidan Donnelley Rowley and it had its moments. The main character had a weird dream and this is treated with as much gravity as if they were all ancient Greeks who believed dreams were portents. The plot had some surprising soapy machinations and bits of insight about grief, but it felt like it was for younger readers who are fascinated with weddings.

No comments:

Post a Comment