Thursday, April 15, 2010

you're not you

"You're Not You" by Michelle Wildgen is utterly enthralling. It's about a college student who becomes a caretaker to a wealthy woman with ALS and gets really drawn into the woman's proud and glamorous lifestyle. The young woman learns to cook and gets introduced to sophisticated things. The compelling thing is how she takes on living the life of the ill woman - she speaks for her, looks out for her interests, takes on her causes. Fantastic, thought-provoking book full of unexpected turns and indelible scenes, like tracing a body onto a former lover's mattress.

"The Opposite of Me" by Sarah Pekkanen is a funny, light read about a nerdy woman who has a gorgeous twin sister. It's kind of like Sophia Kinsella's books, complete with loving dotty parental figures. Very charming and sweet.

"In A Sunburned Country" by Bill Bryson is a hilarious travel book about Australia. It is so enjoyable and delightful. I love this book! It cracks me up. It's my favorite of his books and I've read them all. He has a line about looking for dinner in the middle of nowhere: "I have learned that the reason a man opens up a Chinese restaurant in a small town is not to dazzle the town with the subtleties of Hunan cooking..." LOL!

"The New Yorkers" by Cathleen Schine is about a street in NYC and the people and dogs who reside there. I really like this author's wit and droll take on relationships but I just wasn't really feeling this book. The characters weren't really standing out in my mind - I was maybe too distracted.

No comments:

Post a Comment