Monday, September 21, 2009

body and soul





Loved, adored, and swooned over this book! "Body and Soul" by Frank Conroy is deeply felt and thoroughly satisfying story with hints of "Great Expectations" and a nuanced description of the consequences of possessing extreme musical talent. I read this for the first time when I was in high school and remembered enjoying it. But reading it as an adult, I was even more swept away. Apparently the author is famous for his memoir "Stop Time" so I'll have to read that too.




"Home Game" by Michael Lewis was pretty amusing. He has a likeable personality even as he admits trying to shirk his duties at times.



I whipped through "What Do You Do All Day?" by Amy Schiebe - gotta love any book where a mother thinks she doesn't feel like singing the effing alphabet! Very funny and real.

Also I read "The Frozen Toe Guide to Real Alaska Livin'" by Brookelyn Bellinger - oh dear. It appears we may move to Alaska. This book did not allay my fears. It has a jokey tone and depicts a freezing cold land of nutjobs in Carhartt overalls and rubber boots. Scary.



Just ordered six copies of "Gladstone's Games To Go" for Christmas presents. My game-loving inlaws will never be bored with this book around.

No comments:

Post a Comment